Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Schwinndiana Jones
    Participant

Hello all. I thought I would post this in celebration of the RIDE the Homegrown offers, as opposed to the usual “what’s my Homegrown worth” posts of late.
    I am doing the Colorado Trail Race (2012) this year on a ’97 LX prepped for the rigors of the CTR; don’t worry, there is none of that beautiful bass boat paint to mess up as this a “buffed” finish frame. I still owe a friend some drawings in payment for the frame (19″), and I basically combed CL for a proper parts bike with v-brakes, and cannibalized it to build this ride.

Hello all. I thought I would post this in celebration of the RIDE the Homegrown offers, as opposed to the usual “what’s my Homegrown worth” posts of late.
    I am doing the Colorado Trail Race (2012) this year on a ’97 LX prepped for the rigors of the CTR; don’t worry, there is none of that beautiful bass boat paint to mess up as this a “buffed” finish frame. I still owe a friend some drawings in payment for the frame (19″), and I basically combed CL for a proper parts bike with v-brakes, and cannibalized it to build this ride.
    Not the easiest thing to do; try finding strong, quality parts that are v-brake compatible for under $1K. But it worked out, I gave her a test run over Porcupine Rim in Moab this past week and she worked like a dream, strong and light (25 lbs) and of course that frame responds! I know she ain’t pretty, but trust me, she works.
    The parts you see on her are all the parts from the CL bike I bought (a used 2004 Specialized FSR). Before the race I will have replaced the bearings in the Crossmax wheels and I got a brand-new x-9 drivetrain to put on her a month before the race. The only other modification will be to put on some Racing Ralphs (tubeless, of course) with snakeskin sidewalls for durability…If you know about the CTR, you know you build for strength, not lightness. I am also making a frame bag, and will have the bikepacking bit all worked out by May.
    All this is to say, Homegrowns should be ridden, and wouldn’t have chosen any other bike for my first CTR!

alckz
    Participant

right you are, they’re meant to be ridden. looks like you got the right parts in the right places so far, it’s a solid build. wish you luck on your race!

bassboatblue
    Participant

Yeah, but you dont have………………………………………….:)

Schwinndiana Jones
    Participant

CTR Homegrown with trail gearCTR Homegrown with trail gear

…here she is with full trail gear on, where I took her to Breckenridge for a final shakedown ride before the race. Everything worked great. During training the rear crossmax blew apart, so I spent the coin and had a rear rim-brake wheel built with a King hub. Not messing around this time. If anybody is interested, they can track my progress; http://trackleaders.com/ctr  I will be departing on July 29 as an ITT (Individual Time Trial). I am hoping to finish in 7 or 8 days. I will do better if I can, but it is a hard race. (I am Brad Fuller, by the way).

Schwinndiana Jones
    Participant

…and then it begins! Here is a shot of the Homegrown in action.

livernose
    Participant

That’s a clean looking ride. Have fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top