Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk BBO paint is flaking off very much badly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mattk
    Participant

Hey Gang,

The Bass Boat paint on my wife’s frame is flaking off pretty badly.   It is to the point where the frame will soon be 50% Orange and 50% grey undercoat.  Do I need to recoat or clearcoat the gray undercoating?

Will it hurt the frame if all the orange flakes off and I do nothing??

Thanks

Matt

walktheline
    Participant

So my take on this is based on my own experiences with the BB coating.  The Grey under-coating is really the item that you want to preserve.  The Blue/Red/Orange/Green are flaked paints, but if you have the Grey, the gray is really where the color pops out.  I read a while back about someone creating a nail-polish color that would yield the correct BB Blue for the 1998-1999 models that used BB blue paint.

I cannot attest to the orange, but the Red was the same way… if the Red or Blue paint flaked off, you could use a “faded” paint color that would not completley cover up the grey paint. Hence the nail polish paint.

Frame will be fine, it’s aluminum, so no damage will happen unless you get down to the frame completely and then oxidation can occur, some pitting, etc.  If you are concerned, use a clear coat to preserve what is left of your paint.

john
    Keymaster

I used nail polish on my ’98 Factory XT and it worked reasonably well. I had to hunt around a bunch to find something that matched and had to experiment a bit with layering various colors. I’m not going to say it looked good but it was better than the silver.

I’ve used 3M film on my ’97 Factory XTR to cover the decals. You need to be careful to not get it dirty prior to installation or you’ll see the edges a bit more easily, but if you don’t know to look for it it’s really not all that obvious. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/

I’ve got a roll at work and can check on thickness tomorrow too if you want.

Mattk
    Participant

Thanks guys!  I wonder how just the gray undercoat with some 3m film would look?  The decals are pretty much done for any way.  I think there is one complete diamand shaped sticker left and all the others have peeled partially.

Oddly, My other frame is also a 98 and BBO and the paint hasnt flaked off at all.  Me thinks the BB paint had many issues. 

alckz
    Participant

sorry to hear about your paint problems, but it makes me wonder if there’s more to the way they painted the bikes. i got a 97 straight six and the BBR on it is almost 1 millimeter thick (it had a l’il  “love bite” on it when i got it). yet you see a lot of the latter models, BB and powder/ano’ed, starting to flake off…

walktheline
    Participant

My BBB 1998 factory flakes any time it gets a scratch.  The seat coller has shreaded the blue paint, but not thru the grey undercoat.  My stickers are pretty much shot too, which sucks.

livernose
    Participant

I found some nail paint to touch up a 97 BBB Homegrown Factory and also my 97 Project Underground. Pretty darn close except the metallic isn’t quite as big as the original, but the blue color is spot on. Two coats of nail polish followed by 3 coats of Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Glaze clear with wet n dry 1500 grit sanding between each clear.. Taped off for the clear spray at the welds on the FH so the line wouldn’t show and at the tube ends on the PU. Got the paint at Wally World. Pure Ice brand, “strapless” is the color. Funny thing is the nail polish is tougher than the original paint.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top