Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyQPublic
    Participant

As I looked at all the ice and snow outside today I began to dream of Spring and riding the trails…so (since I can’t make Spring come here quickly) I thought I could at least have my Homegrown ready for the trails when the weather does warm up a bit. One thing I have kicked around for a while is switching the gears out for a single speed.
    1. Anyone here switched to SS? If so, do you miss all the other gears when you approach a steep incline?
    2. What is a good company to buy a SS kit from? Any recommendations for proper gear ratio..I have a 19″ bike.
    3. If I switch to SS does it have to be fixed-gear with no allowance for coasting…or can SS allow for coasting downhill?
    4. Any good websites for doing the switch? I found a ton of sites but none that answered all my questions.

Thnx,
    Johnny

chuckha62
    Participant

I see that your question was never answered. If you’re still interested in converting to SS, let me know. I ride SS almost exclusively and have converted my HG to SS.

R69nfine
    Participant

I recently purchased a ’99 Homegrown, I’m new to this but I’m interested in a possible SS conversion. Any tips would be appreciated.

chuckha62
    Participant

Converting to an SS is very straight forward. You’ll either need to use a tensioner (I use a Soulcraft Convert), find that magic gear combination that gets you perfect chain tension, or use a half link for your chain of choice.

moby
    Participant

[quote=R69nfine]

I recently purchased a ’99 Homegrown, I’m new to this but I’m interested in a possible SS conversion. Any tips would be appreciated.

[/quote]

I think you can get one of these:

http://wheelsmfg.com/shimano-sram-single-speed-conversion-kit.html

Take off your extra chainring on crank, shorten your chain and you should be good to go. Make sure your chainline isn’t all wonky.

(‘Wonky’ is a technical term.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top