Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dafern
    Participant

I’m in, finally! Picked up this beauty in Davis. The frame is 21″ and in great condition. Setup as a cruising single speed right now. Not sure what to do with it. I already have an original Santa Cruz Chameleon, rigid all around and a full suspension Blur.

I am curious about the anodizing job. It appears to be of a darker, matte, colored gold with a surface texture as opposed to a very light and shinny looking smooth gold finish. I can only assume different painting houses. Totally stoked.

livernose
    Participant

You think somebody painted parts of this? Especially since it has a texture to it and all the badges (head/ Enlightened)
    are removed. I will add that I believe the 2001 frame is desirable because it is the only year with modern type brake mounts on the seat stay in the rear.

dafern
    Participant

Possibly. I found another frame online with the same powder coat paint job sold as a 2001 factory limited model. Maybe the chain stay will give a better story. It seems like in the end, the anodized version would have a lower weight compared to the powder coating, but other than that, the frames are identical.dafern-1.jpgdafern-2.jpg

dafern
    Participant

Updated project photodafern-imag1844.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Looks nice. You gonna put on decals? Or run it as is?

dafern
    Participant

If I could get more decals I would. I tired getting the n’litened badge but it’s impossible to find so I purchased the 2000 model seat tube badge. Got the headbadge today and still looking for the tube decals.

livernose
    Participant

I got some vinyl ones made in the UK with black script, and also got some at Velocals. The Velocals are on foil type material and they look the best but they aren’t cheap. You can order the down tube Schwinn script whatever color script you want. I applied them to my daughter’s 2001 blue frame. You can view both on the “Homegrowns wanted” forum on this site under “down tube decals”. I put the vinyl ones on first and then removed them and put the foil ones on from Velocals.

dafern
    Participant

Awesome thanks for the pro tips. I too came across the velo website and was just hesitant to pull the trigger. Now if only I can find the epicenter sticker and n’litened badge.

livernose
    Participant

I’m on the hunt for an epicenter sticker too. I have seen them in Schwinn BMX bike sticker sets, but don’t want to buy the entire set just for the 1 sticker. The enlightened badges are hard to find too, but I’ve seen them on a popular auction site once in a while. Good luck in your search.

dafern
    Participant

U is for Upgradedafern-imag1880.jpg

dafern
    Participant

can’t add more photos. error in upload

john
    Keymaster

Can you give me some description of the error you receive? I can’t duplicate the issue right now so without specific info it’s tough to fix.

dafern
    Participant

Gold brakesdafern-brakes.jpg

dafern
    Participant

Went the vinyl sticker route. Not sure if I like it. Looking for alternatives. dafern-imag1938.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Looks like the proper older style font, but doesn’t appear to have a black outline. Here’s a side by side comparison of an original epicenter decal and a Velocal that I didn’t use. The epicenter decal for a 2000-2001 isn’t on the seat stays, it’s a single decal at the junction of the seat stays and seat tube.

livernose-velocalcomparison1.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top