Another shot

moby
moby's picture

Nice build. Dig the front wheel.

MyTomato

Homegrown Racing Smile

livernose
livernose's picture

Nice build. I’ve never seen the Crossmax SL rim brake wheels with the red hubs.

Jeff
94 Underground aluminum cracked frame
2- 97 Underground composite
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro
01- Homegrown Factory Limited

MyTomato

They are the crossmax slr rim brake version. Found them NOS a few years back and i am very glad i held on to them.

MyTomato

After all these bikes the Schwinn homegrown is near the top of my all time favorite rides.
-Huffy Rock Mountain
-Raleigh M80 FS
-Schwinn Mesa GSX
-Schwinn Homegrown
Sweetspot alloy
-Trek Alpha Alloy Hardtail  
-02 FSR S-Works
-03 FSR S-works
-07 Epic S-Works Carbon
-05 Scott Scale LTD
-07 FSR Elite
-Scott Spark LTD
-Scott Spark 10
-GF Superfly Carbon
-Trek Soho belt drive
-Niner One 9
-Cannondale Super V
-GT STS
-Niner Air 9
-Schwinn Homegrown Sweetspot Carbon
----Road----
-DBR Titanium
-Scott CR1 Carbon
-Cannondale Liquigas System Six
-Serotta Custom Steel
-Cannondale CX9
-Ridley 2012 WC X-Fire Carbon

moby
moby's picture

I think the SweetSpot bikes were (and still are) underappreciated. Still trying to figure out exactly why—I mean, of course it’s individual preference but I’ve always felt the variable shock rate was a smart implementation for a suspension design. Some of those full suspension designs were boing boing bob-city.

livernose
livernose's picture

I have an 09 Specialized Epic I like to ride, but have an Schwinn 01 Rocket 88 frame I am assembling the bits to build. 

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

Moby, So true. The sweetspot with an air shock rides very similar to an Epic. With a little body english the shock can lock-out or be full floating without flipping a switch or relying on valve trickery. People say the carbon HG at 6lbs is heavy when in fact the weight is the same as a epic alloy and a C-Dale superV with Risse air shock i weighed a little while back.

moby
moby's picture

MyTomato wrote:
Moby, So true. The sweetspot with an air shock rides very similar to an Epic. With a little body english the shock can lock-out or be full floating without flipping a switch or relying on valve trickery. People say the carbon HG at 6lbs is heavy when in fact the weight is the same as a epic alloy and a C-Dale superV with Risse air shock i weighed a little while back.

The weight discussion is a non-issue. The HG framesets were amongst the lightest at the time. I think haters used to bring that up when they ran out of other things to pick on.

Those Cannondales were definitely pigs though. More downhilling, and less XC style. Horrible to pedal uphills.

livernose
livernose's picture

I’d still like to find a HG full suspension one day.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

CraigB
CraigB's picture

MyTomato, beautiful bike! Really dig the component choice!

Livernose, I found my 4-Banger on a local Craigslist and my 1995 full suspension through the Homegrown Facebook group.

Craig
1997 Moab 1 (cro-mo) • 1999 4-Banger All-Mountain • 2000 Hardtail

livernose
livernose's picture

A friend of mine is still riding a Cannondale Super V. It’s a cool looking bike and nice for XC, but he let me ride it in hilly terrain one day and it bounced a lot pedaling uphill.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

I loved my Super V and if i was a cannondale superfan i would have kept it. There amazing with a Jekyll swingarm and fox rear shock.

moby
moby's picture

MyTomato wrote:
I loved my Super V and if i was a cannondale superfan i would have kept it. There amazing with a Prophet swingarm and fox rear shock.

That’s legit. My experience has with the V’s have been with much lower spec’d ones and/or ones that weren’t tuned properly, so maybe I got a bad sample.

MyTomato

Another great day  racing the HG!

moby
moby's picture

Looking good my man. Nice coordination with the outfit. You look ready for the team!

livernose
livernose's picture

Nice to see some vintage Homegrowns are still out there racing. What might be some of the comments you get from guys with the newer bikes?

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

I seem to receive at least 1 good comment every time im out. First one, i overheard 2 guys talking. One stated "wallmart bike?". Other replied "no thats a real Schwinn". Today as i was at the start a guy stated "going retro" and nodded his head. Made me feel pretty good. Maybe someone could design a jersey with the tomato logo and homegrown flag? Maybe a combination of the tomato jersey and the Team schwinn/Toyota with the checkered flag.

livernose
livernose's picture

There was a guy that designed a Homegrown jersey that was awesome. I bought one for myself, my son, and my daughter. He got a pre order and they went quick. 

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

Wow!! How do i get one in large? Does he have an email or link i can order from?

livernose
livernose's picture

He only made what was ordered. His name is Antonioeli Garcia Elias. He is on Facebook.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

livernose
livernose's picture

He only made what was ordered. His name is Antonioeli Garcia Elias. He is on Facebook.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

moby
moby's picture

Here’s my jerseys:

livernose
livernose's picture

Thoze are some the guy made up recently designed more like a BMX jersey. I got 4 of those for everybody in the family. 

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

chuckha62

NIce Jersey!  As for the overheard comments, I had a guy sort of whisper to his riding partner that I was on a cheap Walmart Schwinn. His partner replied, “You don’t know what you’re looking at, do you?” I assume he filled him in beyond that, but I was out of earshot.

livernose
livernose's picture

My son gets the same thing from his friends when he’s riding his Homegrown. It’s a 2001 Factory black anodized frame.I’ve never seen one like this at Wally World.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

chuckha62

Yup! That’s the same frame I have, but built into a sub-20 lb. SS. It is my go to ride (except when I rode TWE in Moab, last fall). 

Nice builds guys!

moby
moby's picture

Those later anodized frames are freaky light—sometimes scary light. Last one I threw up on a scale was 2.9 lbs. Schwinn chose to go with the anodized finish because it saved something like a couple ounces of weight.

The Bass Boat finishes were notoriously heavy—all that metal sparkle and clear coat.

chuckha62

“moby wrote:
Those later anodized frames are freaky light—sometimes scary light. Last one I threw up on a scale was 2.9 lbs. Schwinn chose to go with the anodized finish because it saved something like a couple ounces of weight.
The Bass Boat finishes were notoriously heavy—all that metal sparkle and clear coat.”

Agreed. My fork at 3.4 lbs is a half pound heavier than my frame. 

MyTomato

Another great race on the HG and a 3rd place finish Smile

livernose
livernose's picture

Nice to see a vintage Homegrown still out racing. What front fork are you running?

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

Its a first gen Sid XC HydraAir. Its plenty stiff and works great but im switching to a Sid World cup carbon for lighter weight and a better damper plus lockout Wink

livernose
livernose's picture

I’ve got SID World Cups on my 2 Undergrounds. They are light and work well. Pretty much older SIDS on all my other Homegrowns too, except a 27.5 Manitou on my 01 Limited because I’m using 27.5 wheels. The SIDs are easy to service too.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

6 inch i to i RP2/RP23 works ladies and gentleman! To my surprise the Sid dual air also measures 6 inch i to i. I'll have a short review after my next race. I bought a new RP2 off an ebay vendor and made sure i got the factory fox shock bushings with the purchase. I figured some dimensions would be off but i was willing to see what needed to be modified when i got the items together. I used the stock homegrown mounting hardware and drilled out the bushings to match. There was a couple mm gap between the frame so i used composite washers to fill the void and tightened everything. I took my time and the project took approximately an hour. Everything is tight as it should be and i dont expect any problems. Weight differance of the Sid and the RP2 is approximately 90 grams on my scale. 

livernose
livernose's picture

I am interested in your preference between the Fox and SID.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

MyTomato

Ive been riding the Fox RP2 on many different types of terrain to include fast slalom descents, technical singletrack, rooty rocky woody trails, broken and smooth asphalt, mud, sand, long ascents, wood chip trails, and various uncategorized trails with a mix of conditions and types and have found that the Fox outperforms the Sid in every way. Im 165lbs and have a moderate to skilled biking ability. Ive been racing since 2007 and feel i can accurately evaluate the advantage or disadvantage a part play in my need to go faster and reduce my lap times. Physical endurance training and increased skill is my main focus but having a part such as this added to a classic ride can really help. I found 190psi to be that sweet spot between platform and a cush ride. This allows roughly 20% sag and a firm XC platorm. Small bump sensitivity is worlds better than the Sid. The Sid was basically just an air spring and the damper control did very little compared to the fox in adjustability. Propedal on the fox is pretty much a lockout with this frames geometry. I rode my training course which consists of most  of the trail conditions previously stated in propedal mode and only used 20% of the stroke. It seemed to just float around in the sag range even with some direct impacts against rocks and roots. When riding around in full open mode the shock floated around in the 20-50% range with very little pedal induced bob. 3 clicks on the damper control from full open keeps the shock rebounding quick without kicking back. I could go on forever but its clear to me that the fox is a great upgrade for this frame and other sweetspots. The Sid is a huge step up from the Rockshox Coil Deluxe originally on the Sweetspots and the Fox is the equivalent amount of increased performance over the Sid.