Can I get your best guess on the year?

You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
sethmg
Can I get your best guess on the year?

Hey guys, newly signed up, but have lurked for a long time! Thanks for all the great info!

So I bought a Homegrown when I was 15 or 16, and have had it ever since. Pedals, seat and tires have been replaced, but otherwise it's all stock. I can't figure out whether it's a '95 or '96 model though. According to the literature here, none of the '95s had rapidfire shifters which mine does, but grip shifters instead. However, if it's a '96 model, then it must be the Homegrown XT. The only confusion I have there is the crank and hubs on my bike are LX, not XT, and the forks are the gold/tan color like the '95s, not black like the '96 literature shows.

Anyway, I know it's not critical, but I am curious what the experts here think. Thanks in advance for your time. I'm getting ready to make some tasteful and mild upgrades to it soon so I can chase my three kids in comfort! Feel free to direct me, so I don't screw it up! (like maybe a 100mm fork, riser handlebars, a 1x11 conversion...what do you think?...)

Seth

tomatoadmin
tomatoadmin's picture
sethmg

Thanks for the quick reply. And you're right; for chasing kids it's just fine. I guess I just want it to be a bit more comfortable. Taller bars to take some weight off my wrists maybe?

Any theories about the rapid fire shifters if it really is a '95? And the mix of XT and LX components? Maybe a frame built up by a bike shop employee?

Here's more pictures just for fun.

Wiescins

Everything looks like my 95, but the shifters, mine has grip shift x-rays, probably shop choice to swap them out. 

tomatoadmin
tomatoadmin's picture
sethmg

Thanks again for the feedback! Looking forward to some warmer weather and hitting the trails again!