Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk New Old Orange 2000 Homegrown Pro

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    digdug
    Participant

After stalking this bike on Craigslist for an embarrassingly long time, I finally decided that it was stupid to keep looking at this bike and I should just buy it. I contacted the seller last night and we negotiated what I thought was a fair price for what the bike is and how it’s equipped. I took the kids on an adventure this morning and took the drive an hour north to pick it up.

I spent most of my mountain biking years on steel frames, and pooh-poohed the notion of ever owning an aluminum bike. Yet, since the first bass boat painted Homegrowns hit the market in the mid 90s, I have wanted one. Today finally became the day.

The bike is a 19″ (why did they measure these to the top of the seat tube?) Homegrown Pro from 2000, with a mix of XTR and XT components, as well as Hayes hydraulic discs. The Thomson stem, carbon Easton bars, Rock Shox SID and suspension seat post were nice period-correct additions, as well.

What threw me off are the upsized 27.5/650b wheelset with 47c WTB semi-slicks. I fully aniticipated pulling the tires for a set of 26″ Schwalbes that I had in my stash. A nice surprised, even though the rear wheel needs to have the spokes tightened up a bit. 

I love the bike. The fit, the color, the ride, the look… everything. Sure, it’s not bassboat, but it sure it pretty—and it’s SOOOOO light. I think with a proper seatpost and a lightweight wheelset and tires, this thing is going to be a fantastic trail fighter. I can’t wait to get back to the trails out here.

digdug

livernose
    Participant

Nice looking ride. The 650b wheels are a cool upgrade.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top