Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Potential Homegrown Buyer, is this a good deal?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Saohagan
    Participant

I found this frame on Craigslist. Going to get it tomorrow. From what I gathered with the information here, it’s a 2001 limited.

Guy wants $150 for it. Is this a decent deal?

I’m looking for something to make a single speed ridgid bike to cruise around the neighborhood on and am hoping this is a good candidate.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/scottiedont04/F1B3962B-E47C-41A6-A9EC-99D692D41C6A-1460-000000BB8D5D6568_zpsaonw3mvu.jpg[/IMG]

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

That’s a pretty awesome deal. The lightest of the Homegrowns with the modern disc mounts.

Saohagan
    Participant

Well I hope the deal works out. I’ll be sure to post some pictures. The guy doesn’t know much about it, nor do I. Is that a 15″? The rear angles look that way and also the way the top and down tube come into the head tube are different looking as well, right?

I hope you guys don’t kill me, but I’m actually looking at building this frame into a single speed, bmx cruiser conversion using era correct, Schwinn/XS parts. Well, if I can find what I need.

Is there a specific integrated headset to use on these?

Saohagan
    Participant

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/scottiedont04/C96F8DD7-E4AE-462D-B6FF-D0C698C38419-6493-000003EC39539B5A_zpscm0ln8ih.jpg[/IMG]

I bought it. Not as clean as it appeared in photos. But no cracks or dings.

What do y’all use to clean anodized aluminum? It needs a good detailing.

Is anyone reproducing stickers or the n litened badge and the chain stay protector?

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Looks like a 15″ or 17″ frame. They’re measured center to top so it will be easy to verify.
    You need an ICBM headset. Cane Creek still had them if you called them, last I heard. Might be around on websites or ebay too.

I’ve used Flitz metal polish with really good results on old clear anodizing. I need to do a write-up on that, but just follow their directions and it’s impressive.

Still working on repo decals for those. Velocals has some of the older ones but I don’t think they have those. Could be wrong, though.

Yorktown
    Participant

Velocals has this set: http://www.velocals.com/schwinn-pro-homegrown-sku-481/

Looks like it would get you some of what you need. If you contact them they will sometimes make what you need. I had them make the 95 sweetspot set. I think it was $50 + plus the cost of the set. For me that total was around $105.

Saohagan
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys.

Another question. Is there a weight limit on these. I’m a bigger guy. I’m only going to be riding this around my neighborhood. Nothing crazy. Maybe the occasional bunny hop. Just want to make sure I’m not gonna snap the head tube off!

It’s a 15 inch, if that matters

livernose
    Participant

That is a killer deal for a great frame. I ordered set of decals for my daughter’s 2001 frame from Velocals, just be sure to order the correct letter color and shadow colors for the down tube decals. http://www.velocals.com/schwinn-pro-homegrown-sku-481/

livernose
    Participant

I weigh 205 lbs and ride the same frame in 19″ size. No cracks yet. BTW, Fleabay has the Schwinn specific ICBM headset bearings if you don’t mind the shipping wait from Asia. They are getting harder to find. Cane Creek has them also, but they are almost twice the price. I’ve bought from both places. Also, someone on this site may have an extra headset bearing.

Saohagan
    Participant

I saw the ones overseas but found a guy selling on eBay that I bought and it already showed up!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top