Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lextek
    Participant

I used to race back in the day these came out.  The Fat City, Yeti and Merlin days.  I ended up with a Klein and then a Merlin.  Now I’d really like to get a Homegrown.  What do you think of this Ebay one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290385088886&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_3201wt_1167

WisconsinJay
    Participant

Nothing too critical – just a few of the following are my thoughts..

The frame is NOT Yeti built, as 2000 saw Schwinn using their “N’lightened” aluminum design.. Also at this time they moved to an intergrated headset (not a fan.) 

The frame itsself looks to be in good condition & needing paint….  If you have the time and energy to build it up – definately go for it..  Otherwise keep your eyes peeled to Ebay & Craigslist as the 17 inch frames seem to frequently come up for sale. 

Me, I’m a bigger guy and have to work double hard to find the 21″ frames..

Good luck!  

lextek
    Participant

Yeah I knew it wasn’t Yeti or a 2000.  Powder coating a good option?

lextek
    Participant

OK i won the the frame.  Not sure if I want to try to restore it.  I really wanted a Homegrown to ride.  It my reading on the Homegrowns I never heard anyone mention the etched tomato above the dropout.

JohnnyQPublic
    Participant

Congrats on the frame.

Yeah, the tomato on the dropout is pretty cool.

bikeric
    Participant

Hey lextex, is that your frame back on Ebay?  Looks like the exact pics from the previous auction.  Any issues with the frame?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Schwinn-Homegrown-Lightweight-XC-Race-Frame-Nice_W0QQitemZ290388865729QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item439c8672c1

blue72beetle
    Participant

Hmm, same seller as before. Maybe someone backed out of the deal. Or maybe the seller has more than one frame.

lextek
    Participant

Yeah that was mine.  I had to back out of the deal.  I’m sure it’s a fine frame.  It’s still listed as a 2000 Yeti built.  Someday.  Or I might have to “settle” for a Yeti.

blue72beetle
    Participant

If you can only get one, saving up and getting a Yeti (Factory Hardtail) is the way to go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top