Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Thinking about selling some Schwinns

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    grambo
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about selling some of my bikes, namely my second Project Underground, and my Four Banger. I’ve come to the realization that I’ve not ridden either one more than a couple of hours total – I prefer my nice P.U. and my beater Zaskar.

Would it be best from a profit standpoint to part them out? Both are entirely non-stock, with a nice mix of ~10 year old fairly high end parts, IE Crossmax, White Industries, Kooka, though admittedly neither bike has a great fork. (the Skareb above = yuck)

john
    Keymaster

Granted, I haven’t been able to keep an eye on auctions much lately, but it seems like the part spec might not net you much extra money based on what I’ve seen lately. It’s kind of frustrating though, having parts that were once considered nice that many people don’t seem to value much now. Wish I had better advice for you.

ziggyMSU
    Participant

It used to be you could buy a complete bike for $500 and part it and sell it for $1000…but now th margins are coming closer together.  I’m curious what yours would bring…  I think you should post some close up pics.  The good news is that frame is a 19″ – which is my size.  Sorry John, I know you ride 17″.  what kind of 4banger do you have?

grambo
    Participant

Yeah… I can’t figure out the market these days. I see Altek and Kooka v-brake levers going for $200/pair on ebay, while my buddy’s Y-33 with full XTR and magura racelines only went for $550 or so.

The 4-banger is a 19″ black ’99 regular model (not homegrown). I guess I’ll take some better photos and post them.

john
    Keymaster

Since they didn’t make ’em for the short guys. Yell

livernose
    Participant

Did you sell the Project Underground? If it’s the thermoplastic model I would be interested in the frame. Let me know.

Thanks

grambo
    Participant

I know this is 6 months old now, but I do still have the project underground shown above, and would be open to selling it, in part or nearly whole (I borrowed a couple of parts off of it).

Send me a PM, or email me at curkendall at yahoo dot com.

livernose
    Participant

Sorry I missed this. I bought a Project Underground frame off an auction site in February and then I think it was you that that mentioned another one for sale. I got that one too. #1 needed a few minor touch ups, and #2 needed major touch ups. #1 built up with period correct mainly NOS XTR, Avid Ultimate Ops brakes, Mavic 717 rims/ Blue Machine Tech hubs, IRC Mythos XC tires, Thomson stem and set back seat post, and Easton Monkey Lite bars and a blue stinger saddle. Probably going to keep this as a display bike. #2 new 2 X 10- XT with XT shifters and Avid Ultimate brakes, same bars, same rims/tires with XTR hubs, same saddle. I’m gonna ride this one. When I finish both I’ll post pictures.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top