Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums The Shop Wanted Tomato seat post clamp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    livernose
    Participant

Looking for one of those seat post clamps with the little tomato on it. Anybody have one they can part with/sell? Or want to trade something for?

Wingman80
    Participant

Never seen one… Got picture?

livernose
    Participant

Here’s few pictures. They’re getting harder to find.livernose-homegrownpostclamp2.jpglivernose-homegrownpostclamp1.jpg

john
    Keymaster

I may have one in a drawer somewhere, and there’s a couple guys I know that might have one. I’ll check around.

livernose
    Participant

Thanks!

livernose
    Participant

Bought a 2001 Rocket 88 frame last week. When it arrived, guess what was on it? A tomato seat post clamp in excellent shape. It’s going on my 2001 HG Limited. Wonder if it came on the Rocket 88 when new? Anybody know?

john
    Keymaster

It was meant to be!
    I would tend to doubt it came with it originally but total guess on my part. They were pretty stingy with the tomatoes except on the last Fastbacks.

livernose
    Participant

Ugh! Checked the Rocket 88 tomato clamp on my Limited and it was lose! Tightened all the way and still wasn’t tight enough. Tried it on my son’s 01 Black anodized Factory and it was lose too, but my son has a tomato clamp already and it works on my 01 Limited. Can’t take my son’s though. Oh well…

livernose
    Participant

But the Rocket 88 clamp fits perfectly on my daughter’s 2001 HG Pro.
    I’m thinking there are 2 slightly different sizes.

moby
    Participant

[quote=livernose]

But the Rocket 88 clamp fits perfectly on my daughter’s 2001 HG Pro.
    I’m thinking there are 2 slightly different sizes.

[/quote]

Wow that is weird, but that must be the case. Maybe the long travel fullies were built with a thicker and/or larger seattube?

I don’t have any of the later gen bikes to compare, but all of mine have the same seatpost size (26.8, with a 30.8 seat tube diameter).

livernose
    Participant

I’m thinking it is the paint thickness versus the thinner anodizing. Definitely slightly different sizes. Enough to make a difference in the tomato seat post clamp.

livernose
    Participant

Same seat post size and my daughter’s 01 HG Pro is a hard tail, but it’s painted.

john
    Keymaster

Yeah, stupid paint…you could always get some plain shim stock from a place like mcmaster.com and go that route. Probably won’t take much at all.

livernose
    Participant

Would the shim fit over the top of the seat tube? Because the only time I’ve used a shim is on the USE post on my BBB Factory and it inserted into the seat tube.

john
    Keymaster

Yeah, between the outside of the seat tube and the collar. You could probably even play around with some aluminum foil. McMaster and others have plastic stuff that you could use too that might not harm the finish if that area ever became exposed later on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top