Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums The Shop For Sale/Trade 17″ Homegrown For Sale

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Schwinning
    Participant

Not really sure what I have here. Any help identifying would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201567041723?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

john
    Keymaster

Based on top tube cable routing and no rear canti cable stop, it looks like it’s either a ’98 Factory XT or ’99 Factory XT or XTR painted to look like a 2001 Schwinn.

EDIT: also because it’s external headset and the forged dropouts and chainstay yoke are typical of these years.

Go [url=http://bonustomato.com/Homegrown_models]here[/url], and click on Yeti to see them.

Good news is that it’s a Yeti frame. Unfortunate that it was painted though.

Schwinning
    Participant

Thanks for the insight John!

john
    Keymaster

Ain’t nuthin’.

Forgot to mention the external headset cups and forgings originally too.

Schwinning
    Participant

What do you think about the possibility that this wasn’t repainted, but rather, an unused old frame painted up in a newer scheme? When this frame was given to me I was told be the previous owner that it was originally a team bike.

john
    Keymaster

Anything is possible, especially with the way some of the things were going back then. Seems odd that it would have been a 2+ year old frame though. I’ll see if I can get any more info on it.

john
    Keymaster

My best source left in ’99 so didn’t have any added info; just that it did seem almost certain to be a Yeti painted like a 2001 Fastback, for whatever reason. Sorry I don’t have anything better for you.

john
    Keymaster

Okay, so latest update via a team rider from that era…confirmed it is a team frame, though possibly not Yeti. Waiting on more info on that front but check out a shot of a team bike from 1999 (sorry, best I could find): [img]http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb4454604/p4pb4454604.jpg[/img]
    Same paint scheme. Not sure how I missed that.

livernose
    Participant

Cool find.

Schwinning
    Participant

That’s impressive follow-up! Thanks for staying on the case.

neo_pop_71
    Participant

I can’t add much to all that John has contributed but I can tell you that that is an original V1 Octalink (version 1 not version 2) M952 XTR bottom bracket. As a team frame it would seem logical that that frame would have had a XTR group unless the racer preferred something else specific to taste. Cool bike, good luck with the relisting!

john
    Keymaster

Good catch on the v1 Octalink. Those BBs are scarce now!

Zoltan
    Participant

Were you ever able to find more info on it?

Was it confirmed to be a team frame, or just that it was painted like one?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top