Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums The Shop Wanted WANTED: 1997 Homegrown Factory XTR BassBoatBlue 15/17″

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    miswartwin
    Participant

Hello BT,

If you have 1997 Factory Homegrown XT in Bass Boat Blue (complete or frame only) and are willing to sell, please contact me.

Michael
    miswart@hotmail.com

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

XT was only available in buffed or red: [url]http://bonustomato.com/models/1997-homegrown-hardtail-xt-ht[/url]

Do you mean the Factory XTR?
    [url]http://bonustomato.com/models/1997-homegrown-factory-hardtail-xtr-factory-ht[/url]

miswartwin
    Participant

Yes.  Thank you.  The XTR.

M

usagrown
    Participant

I have a 97′ bass boat blue Homegrown Ltd frame. Bought it and built it up with custom parts the way I wanted it. Rode the hell out of it and got so much out of it, what a piece of machinery!! So strong and light. I bought the frame brand new through some friends that owned a shop and were Schwinn dealers. We ordered 2, one for me and and one for my buddy, who was one of the owners sons. It has a dent on the chain stay yoke and some chipped away decals and paint. I had the idea of having it sand blasted down to the primer at some point but never did. Honestly it’s not bad, I’ve actually seen much worse. There are only a few spots where the paint is chipped mostly from rocks flying up underneath the bbracket. One time I was riding and stopped to help someone replace a tube on the trail, and had the bike leaning up on a log and it fell over. I rushed over like it was my baby or something and upon inspection saw a small dent on the chain stay yoke. It tore at me wether it would effect the structural integrity of the frame to the point that I drove up to Ted Wojcik’s shop in Georgetown, ma or NH, can’t remember it was 20 yrs. ago, to ask him what he thought. He said it would be fine and would cause no further damage to the strength of the frame. He made the point that it could actually make it stronger Where it was compressed, because when you compress metal it becomes tighter so to speak and therefor stronger. It actually made sense to me, and it was an honor to meet Ted. I took what he said and rode the hell outta that bike for the next 5 yrs. until I got my 2001 Rocket 88 stage 1, and 2001 Homegrown Ltd “the gold one”, thus retiring it.

So with all that said, never in my lifetime did I think I’d be parting with them, but I do have a 97′ Homegrown Ltd. Bass boat Blue 15″ frame for sale. If your still interested, make an offer……….will post pics later when I get a chance. Just thought I’d put the bug in your ear first…..

miswartwin
    Participant

Hi. Wow. So appreciative that you reached out.
    I’d love to see it (can send pics to
    m i s w a r t @ h o t m a i l . c o m )
    and then make you an offer. Thank you.
    Michael

livernose
    Participant

I have some touch up paint I used on my BBB 97 Underground and also my BBB 97 Factory HG if you end up getting the frame. Let me know and I’ll send you some.

miswartwin
    Participant

Jeff, Bought the frame. Would appreciate the touch up paint. Thanks, Mmiswartwin-kimg0512.jpg

usagrown
    Participant

Michael,
    I just found an old box with some bike stuff in it, and I came across the bass boat blue nail polish we use to use for touch ups……….you can see spots where I already used it and it is a perfect match other than thickness. I will send you a photo of the bottle and you might be able to track it down somewhere. I don’t know if they still make the same brand but maybe there is something out there similar. It is tough stuff…….

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

[quote=usagrown]

Michael,
    I just found an old box with some bike stuff in it, and I came across the bass boat blue nail polish we use to use for touch ups……….you can see spots where I already used it and it is a perfect match other than thickness. I will send you a photo of the bottle and you might be able to track it down somewhere. I don’t know if they still make the same brand but maybe there is something out there similar. It is tough stuff…….

[/quote]

Is it the Wet ‘n Wild stuff or something else?

usagrown
    Participant

Nope, something else……I’ll upload pics of the bottles and labels…….if you could get it in bulk volume it would be the way to go. The powder coated paint jobs they used sucked. Rocks were the culprit of all those chips. Screaming downhill on Rocky trails they would kick up…….the touch ups I did with the nail polish never chipped or went away.usagrown-kimg0529.jpgusagrown-kimg0534.jpgusagrown-kimg0533.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Here’s a few places that I touched up on my Factory HG chain stays. They were both about dime size chips all the way down to the primer. Besides getting the right paint, sanding down the edges of the chip very carefully helps blend the touch up, as well as clear coating afterwards.livernose-homegrowntouchup2.jpglivernose-homegrowntouchup1.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Touch up paint I used. Can’t find it anymore.livernose-homegrowntouchuppaint1.jpg

usagrown
    Participant

Wow that’s funny the small bottle of touch up paint you have there looks like the nail polish bottles I have……it’s a shame, if they hadn’t powder coated and baked those frames I don’t think they would have chipped like they do/did. It was such a thick coat and I think by baking it, the paint just baked around the frame rather than bonding to the primer. But they did/do look sweet. As sweet as a homegrown tomato!! What kind of rims you got on that bad boy in that second to last picture?

livernose
    Participant

Message me your shipping info and I’ll get some to you. I would get some fine grit sandpaper and put a small piece around a small piece of wood, maybe a Popsicle stick, and sand the edges of the chipped areas smooth where they meet the paint, so you’re really just sanding the very edge of the chip smooth. Using this method minimizes the sandpaper eating up areas of paint and keeps the sanded area as small as possible. Apply the touch up paint and let it dry thoroughly, and then clear coat over the whole area. I usually tape off at the welds and clear coat the whole tube/area between. Right after I spray the clear I remove the masking tape. This helps the clear will lay down better at the edges, and helps minimize the edge where the clear meets the non clear coated area. Then after the clear dries, I polish over the edges of the clear with Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 to smooth out the edges. I use Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze to clear coat. I am no paint expert, but this method has worked for me.

miswartwin
    Participant

Jeff, Pat, thank you both for all this effort. Looking forward to getting this homegrown rolling, and a nice way to start by giving it some TLP(aint).

M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top