Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    runzoff
    Participant

I have a ’98 HG wit URT thta has a tomato cap that is lghtly engraved.  I bought anotheer cap recently that was advertised as Vintage original but is not engraved.  Were there 2 differnet styles?

The one on the right has the engraved edges.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

I don’t know for sure-Jeff might have some better insight on this one. I’ll have to check the ones I have when I get home. In the meantime, there’s this one that’s supposedly original and doesn’t really match either (it’s got the depth to the etching but the stem is different).

livernose
    Participant

The one on the right in your picture looks like a repop. There was a guy that had some made a few years ago. The backs were flat, with a raised flat area in the middle. I bought a few.  I attached a picture of an original and a repop that looks like your red one. The black one on the left is repop, the one on the right is original. You can see the differences and also the different back side.

The one on the left in your picture looks correct. A few years ago I sent an original cap to Kustomcaps and the guy made a dead on reproduction. Even the back of the cap looks like the real deal. He can make them in different colors too. https://kustomcaps.com/collections/graphic-caps/products/schwinn-homegrown-tomato-cap

I will take a picture of an original red and a repop red side by side and post it.

livernose-blackstemcaptop.jpglivernose-blackstemcapbottom.jpg

runzoff
    Participant

Thanks Jeff.  I would have thought it was the other way around.. I bought one of the newer ones and didn’t really care for it and it was not etched..  I like the look of the etched ones better.

livernose
    Participant

The originals used to go for crazy money. I’ve paid $35 for a few before. Then I contacted the guy at Kustomcaps. We went back and forth and I finally sent him the original black one in the picture to make his repop. I can’t tell the difference.

I had about 40 or 50 made and sold them to people on this site for my cost. Then the kustomcap guy listed them on his site. So there could be repops floating around out there being sold as originals. Doesn’t really matter to me because they all look cool, but buyer beware. 

livernose
    Participant

Here is a picture of a red repop from Kustomcaps on the left, and an original red on the right. Sorry about the original being in the packaging. I didn’t want to remove it since it has never been removed. 

livernose-schwinnstemcapcomparison.jpg

runzoff
    Participant

Actually, I have bought a couple thru Kustom Caps but not etched.

Thanks for the wealth of info here Jefff!

livernose
    Participant

Actually they are lazer etched. Just not engraved like the other repops. 

runzoff
    Participant

Ahhh, that makes snese.

You are a wealth of resources!

Thanks Jeff

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top