Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Value of a Project Colorado Frame?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    emiart
    Participant

Hello-

I’m a newbie to the site, although a Homegrown fan since the beginning.  I recently purchased Project Colorado off Craigslist (in Colorado), in near mint condition.  I was going to use it for my trail bike, but if it’s a very valuable frame I might not want to bash it up on trails, but sell it and buy something less collectible.  Any thoughts on what the frame would be worth?

Thanks!!

walktheline
    Participant

This is an old frame – like maybe 96 or 97…. you may get a couple hundred for it.  I wouldn’t go beyond 500 max.  They are more collectors items and show items, than great frames.  The technology has changed so much now that only true die-hards will pay top dollar for a mint or near mint frame.  The older parts is the killer on most bikes.  No one wants an 8speed xt or xtr circa 1999-2000.  I think you could sell this whole rig for about 5-600 to start.  You may get 700 if there was something to sweeten the deal.

emiart
    Participant

Thanks for the info!

livernose
    Participant

That’s a nice frame. I personally have 2. They are a very limited edition and are very hard to find. They were made in 1994 and if you look on the bottom bracket there should be a date stamp. Most people don’t know what they are and aren’t interested in paying a lot of money for them. I agree with the previous comments about it being a display or collector frame. I have ridden mine in the dirt for over 10 years and now use it for a hybrid style with 1 1/2″ smooth tires. I just did a 123 mile ride last weekend around Lake Okeechobee with a few friends on paved and unpaved trails. 

seriously_tho
    Participant

Hey OP, how did you come out on this?  Did it sell? I’m trying to get a barometer on these, a friend came up with one the other day that’s never been built.

livernose
    Participant

I just purchased a 1994 Underground (aluminum) from an auction site for $355, but the guy is over-the-top with $150 shipping from Alabama to Florida. It looks good in the photo so I hope he packs it well so it isn’t damaged during shipping. I already have another that I’ve ridden for 14 years, know what the bike is, and was willing to pay around $500 total for one. I absolutely love the old Undergrounds and Homegrowns. I have a Specialized Epic with XTR group and a SID fork and like the way the old Undergrounds ride much better. Most people don’t know what they’re looking at and view it as just another old outdated mountain bike. I can’t wait til the Underground I just bought arrives. I’m planning on cleaning it up, replacing a few parts, and taking it down to my LBS to show the guys.

john
    Keymaster

Cool, glad that one went to a good home. That shipping is pretty crazy but a decent total price. Love to see it when you get it all cleaned up and built up.

livernose
    Participant

I’ll post pictures when I get it. Not sure exactly what I’m going to change on it other than the fork, rims, and seat. It has nuke proof hubs I probably will keep and control tech stem and bars I’ll probably keep.Looks like all XT components with XT canti brakes. I plan on putting a SID fork to replace the Manitou Answer fork, but might put a Noleen fork like my brother has on his frame. I have 4 mountain bikes and they all have SID forks so the Noleen would be a change.

livernose
    Participant

The bike arrived and was packed very well. It was a good thing because the box took a hit so hard it knocked the pressed in axle out of the front nukeproof hub. There was also a huge hole by the front wheel that was taped up and a small hole in the bottom of the box. Most of the parts from the axle were in the bottom of the box, but an end cap was lost out of a hole in the box. I had to buy another identical nukeproof hub off an auction site to get the end cap. I’m just glad the frame didn’t get damaged.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top