• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by moby.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    neo_pop_71
    Participant

Hello- Anybody else see the new Homegrown logo skewers on Ebay? Opinions?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Homegrown-MTB-quick-release-skewer-pair-NEW-/262320354188?nav=SEARCH

neo_pop_71
    Participant

Can someone tell me if these are authentic Homegrown skewers, I’ve only seen skewers with the tomato logo. I’m late to the party when it comes to these great bikes but I haven’t seen a skewer with the name spelled out. Is 24 bucks a good price? Opinions? Thanks!

livernose
    Participant

I believe Alex Hearn, a Homegrown aficionado, had them made up. I bought 4 sets and they are pretty cool. I had some of the other skewers with just the tomato on them and put them on a bike I gave to my brother. I like these better than the older ones.

livernose
    Participant

But it would be nice to have some made up that are titanium. I would have some made up but I don’t have any connections.

seriously_tho
    Participant

Hi guys, Alex here – yeah, I had those made custom thru a manufacturer I work with. The originals only had the tomato, I added the Homegrown text b/c I liked it better that way.
    As for Titanium, it’s possible to unthread the cro-mo axle & install Ti rod in it’s place, or just swap the Ti from another set. It’ll shave about 50g total.

moby
    Participant

Thanks for making these Alex. I think the marginal weight difference between a ti skewer and a cromoly one is a non-issue for most people. Personally I prefer a cromoly skewer. Wears better over time.

seriously_tho
    Participant

You bet Moby! These things are fun to do, at best they’re break-even ventures but I get some cool products out of the deal. I agree on the CroMo, I feel better when cranking down the front hard – it’s worth 50g.

moby
    Participant

Looks era correct and they work great.moby-dsc00013.jpgmoby-dsc00022.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Always liked the dart paint scheme.

seriously_tho
    Participant

Good looking rig –

moby
    Participant

tee hee you and me both. I had to jump on this when I found it. They are getting pretty rare now…

moby
    Participant

lol thanks. This is my fancy occasion bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top