Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums The Shop Wanted 1998 Factory XT Bass Boat blue/silver trim 21″.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gadkinsj
    Participant

Howdy, 

New to this place but a long time fan of the homegrown bicycle.  I’ve owned 3 hardtails and 2 sweet spots and I still know the location ofall but one of them that I sold to friends in need of a bike. 

Howdy, 

New to this place but a long time fan of the homegrown bicycle.  I’ve owned 3 hardtails and 2 sweet spots and I still know the location ofall but one of them that I sold to friends in need of a bike. 

But my ’98 Factory bass boat blue was stolen (9 years ago but I’m still bitter about it.)  I’ve been in the market to replace that thing since day one but according to schwinn there were only 50 made in 21″, I’ve been having trouble locating one.  I am of the opinon that bike was the best looking and one of the best riding bikes ever made.  The only bike I’ve had that comes close to it is my Klein Adroit.

First of all, if someone in ohio purchased a 21 blue/silver XT with xtr pedals, a V-brake yoke acting as a rear derailler cable, and a Chris King headset,  Then please be decent and sell it back to me. no questions asked!!!  Or if anyone has one or knows of one that could potentially be for sale,  lets talk!.

I know the paint was a problem for this year so I don’t expect perfect condition.  But I’d like to see it with close to original components including that annoying cable actuated hydraulic disk brake on the front.  (but I’d also settle for just the frame).

dew
    Participant

Just buy my Factory XTR.

bikeric
    Participant

http://www.bonustomato.com/?q=node/695

Welcome gadkinsj.  Above is the link to dew’s 21″ Factory frame.  It is the bass boat red/gold version from 1998.

gadkinsj
    Participant

Sorry.  JONESING for the blue and silver.  I’ve passed up a couple of the XTR red/silvers. 

gadkinsj
    Participant

My manager at the bike shop had purchased a pair of ’98 factory XTR’s one for him in 21″ and one for his wife in 17″.  They were both avid cylcists and used them for about 6 weeks.  Then one day I happen to answer the phone and his wife is asking for him and crying. 

She did the classic “oops” and forgot she had 2 bikes on her roof rack and ran into the garage.  It was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.  the frame looked like it was ripped apart down the center line of the top tube and down tube and all 4 of the stays were bent upwards  Basically they were about half their original length.  And thats the story of how 2 homegrowns were taken out of circulation before they even had a chance to be awesome.

dew
    Participant

Get it repainted then you’d have one of the ‘good’ frames.

Bat56
    Participant

i do not know if this is the frame that you are looking for, but I am going to sell this one:

inage

The frame is in good shape.  The decals are all intact.  I have no idea what year it is or where it was made.  I am going to sell the frame only.

gadkinsj
    Participant

nope, I believe that would be a ’99 bass boat blue made by control tech.  I got one of those as a replacement and ended up selling it to a friend.  

Sorry dew I want the original blue/silver paint job.  I am well aware its the same frame but if you are going to go after your dream why half ass it?

JohnnyQPublic
    Participant

gadkinsj,

If you are still on your quest for a 21″ blue/silver HG…here is one on ebay that just popped up for $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Homegrown-Bass-Boat-Blue-/270751459304?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3f0a0b67e8

dew
    Participant

If he get’s $250 for that frame I’ll eat me shorts.

dew
    Participant

Is this a Yeti made frame?  Didn’t think they made the blue ones.

john
    Keymaster

I used to have one. Same alloy as the other Yeti-made frames I had, same welds, and same forged (not extruded) chainstay yoke.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top