Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Starting restoration project 95 Homegrown FS *finished*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Yorktown
    Participant

Thanks. Just a black domed cap screw. Same thing I used on the fork. Anti-seize galore. 

ingum86
    Participant

Looks great. I like the cable routing on the top tube. On my 99 the cables run down the underside of the downtube and under the pivot. Gets full of mud that flings off the front tire and requires alot of maintenance. Is that a 19 inch frame?

Yorktown
    Participant

Yep a 19”.

Yorktown
    Participant

Done!yorktown-img0119.jpg

livernose
    Participant

Nice. How’s the rear shock work? 

Yorktown
    Participant

The Risse shock seems to work great, better than my short time with the Fox 4 before it collapsed. The entire bike is a big change from my 95 KHS Team FXT. Much more responsive and a better ride. 

Yorktown
    Participant

That rear disc brake bracket works great. Cheap and effective. 

livernose
    Participant

Always wondered if theFS Homegrown bike bounces much when you are climbing and off the saddle. I’ve ridden my friend’s Cannondale FS Super V that bounces a lot.

ingum86
    Participant

When off the saddle you are essentially standing on the URT, so only about ¼ of your weight is transferred to the rear suspension. I don’t think there is very much pogoing when climbing either, but I have mine setup really stiff…Seeing this build come together makes me want to do a disk brake conversion on my HGFS and bring it out of retirement. 

moby
    Participant

[quote=”livernose”]

Always wondered if theFS Homegrown bike bounces much when you are climbing and off the saddle. I’ve ridden my friend’s Cannondale FS Super V that bounces a lot.

[/quote]
    Out of the saddle the bike acts more like a hardtail. Much better climbing efficiency than the Super V, but also shock setup has a lot to do with it. I also tend to run my shock a little stiff. But I think the best thing about uphill riding on a Homie is you can sit on the nose of the saddle on longer grinds, and the suspension acts completely differently.

moby
    Participant

[quote=”ingum86″]

When off the saddle you are essentially standing on the URT, so only about ¼ of your weight is transferred to the rear suspension. I don’t think there is very much pogoing when climbing either, but I have mine setup really stiff…Seeing this build come together makes me want to do a disk brake conversion on my HGFS and bring it out of retirement. 

[/quote]
    If you have a ‘99, you’ve got disc tabs already on your bike? You’ll need a 22mm adapter, but at that point you can use any standard brake/wheel combo.

[url]http://www.gtgtandems.com/parts/pics/San1010.jpg[/url]

livernose
    Participant

I’ve got that part and tried it on my son’s 19” frame. The calipers I had wouldn’t fit. I assume I would need a small caliper to work. I’m sure somebody on this forum would know what to use.

moby
    Participant

Here it is from the other side.moby-20100222009.jpg

moby
    Participant

Last angle. Trying to find one with the brake in frame.moby-20100222010.jpg

moby
    Participant

[quote=”livernose”]

I’ve got that part and tried it on my son’s 19” frame. The calipers I had wouldn’t fit. I assume I would need a small caliper to work. I’m sure somebody on this forum would know what to use.

[/quote]
    Do you mean the rotor wouldn’t fit? Here it is running a 160mm rotor with a standard XTR IS hydraulic disc. The clearance on the rotor to the rear triangle is REALLY tight—you can’t go much bigger.

Disregard the missing bolt. 🙂moby-20100222003.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top