Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Homegrown Converted to 700c with new alternate Hayes 22mm Adapter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    bikeric
    Participant

Hello All,

It’s been awhile since I posted, but I’m trying to get back into shape and drop a few pounds so the Homegrown’s are coming to my rescue.

I’ve found a few riding buddies and was tired of getting dropped because they’re all on gravel bikes, so I decided to convert a Homegrown to gravel duty.

Stock 19″ 1998 Bass Boat Blue with Hayes 22mm mount.  Threw on some 29er disc wheels with 700x35c tires and had plenty of clearance.  Next was fitting a rear caliper.  I wanted to use drop bars, so I began the hunt.  Ended up finding used Shimano hydraulic 2×11’s.  That required the use of a Shimano caliper.  First tried the common A2Z adapter, but not even old IS mount XTR calipers wanted to fit.  Next tried a Magura IS mount caliper, but the lever and caliper didn’t like each other with regards to fluid flow.  Lastly decided to go with a new style flat road caliper with a custom made adapter.

The adapter design was very simple and is an easy install.  Unfortunately for me was the cost to get a machine shop to make one ($145).  Oh well, small price to pay to get this fabulous frame updated with modern tech.  If anybody is interested in the .dwg file I will gladly share it for free.  If the cost to manufacture these could be reduced I would be selling them myself, but I have my doubts that enough demand would exist.

Update 2021:  There has been demand for these adapters.  I get them 3D printed out of Stainless Steel now.  USA buyers are charged $60/ea which includes USPS Priority Shipping.  International Buyers are charged $70/ea which includes USPS First Class Shipping.  I will try and keep these in stock.  Message me directly if you want an adapter and I will give you my PayPal address.  PayPal is currently my only form of payment accepted.  Thanks All,

livernose
    Participant

Very cool. Is that a 19″ frame?

bikeric
    Participant

19” frame, yes.  I usually ride 17” frames for mountain, but the 19” is a better size for me as a road/gravel bike. 

The ugly post and seat were just what I threw on for the bike shops clamp holder to grip. I’ve goth both a thudbuster and/or USE SX suspension post for it. I’ve already re-routed the rear brake hose below the downtube for a cleaner look.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

This is pretty cool. I need to revisit some geometry charts and think about doing this.

livernose
    Participant

Makes me think about changing my 01 Limited to a gravel bike. What model levers are you using?

bikeric
    Participant

The levers are RS505 which are 2×11.  They were the cheapest I was able to find at the time of the build.  I paid $100 for the used pair without calipers.  The rear caliper was cheap IMO at $35 and I had the hose and front caliper, so not an issue there.  I haven’t got to ride it yet due to work and freezing weather.

Tailendcharlie
    Participant

Nice job bikeric. Time to revisit a rear disc on my S20 Homegrown.

bikeric
    Participant

Thanks Tailendcharlie.  I can send the Solidworks file to anybody that wants it.

Tailendcharlie
    Participant

That file would be awesome. Is there a specific program to open it?

Cheers.

bikeric
    Participant

I use SolidWorks at work, but can export it to whatever File type someone wishes.  STEP, DWG, SLDPRT, etc.

I’ve even considered 3D printing a solid version (no honeycomb internally) and seeing if it would last.  I wish we had purchased a 3D metal printer last year.  

livernose
    Participant

3D printed some lock out knobs for Rockshox SID forks, fits the 02 thru 05. Came out pretty well and work great, but since I don’t have a 3D printer I had to pay someone for the set-up and the printing.

livernose-rockshoxlockout1.jpglivernose-rockshoxlockout2.jpg

bikeric
    Participant

Nice knobs.  I could print them for you for free as a one-off, (resale quantities however, would cost money for time/supplies), but I have limited color options.  Pretty much gray or white.

livernose
    Participant

Thanks, but I have about a dozen from when I had them printed before. I thought people would want them to replace the cracked ones from tightening the screws too tight or fior missing ones, but I have about a dozen sitting in a bag in my garage. The guy that printed them for me ended up being about $13 per knob and nobody wanted to pay that. My intent was to sell them for my cost but I guess that was too much. I have a lifetime supply now.

dyebhai
    Participant

I’d love to try printing one of these adapters through Shapeways. 

@bikeric, mind sending me the file in one of the following types: DAE, OBJ, X3D, X3DB, X3DV, or WRL?

Also feel free to upload it to their site and charge a few bucks for doing the legwork.

Thanks!

bikeric
    Participant

Hey @dyebhai, thanks for the Shapeways information.  I had never heard of that site.  I actually went on it, created an account, and ordered a seat clamp made out of steel that I have been holding off getting machined.  The local machine shops are quoting me $350 to make this darn tear-drop shaped seat collar for a NOS 2011 GT GTR carbon frame I mistakenly purchased without a seat clamp.  Those things are impossible to locate and are unique to the frame.  The 3D print charge was $55.50 to my door.

The only file type I could upload to Shapeways was .stl.  Send me a direct message with your email and I will be able to email you the .stl file free of charge!!  I may start uploading 3D files to Shapeways to make some spare change.

Thanks,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top