Starting restoration project 95 Homegrown FS *finished*

You are here

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yorktown
Yorktown's picture
Starting restoration project 95 Homegrown FS *finished*

Finally found a frame and now I’m going to have it painted before putting it together.  I was looking at the available decals and it looks like the early bikes have different decals.  Oh well, guess I’ll upgrade.

I’ll update this thread with progress photos as I work through the project.  -Andrew

moby
moby's picture

Oh boy those decals from the earlier homegrowns are tough to find. In the interest of preservation you might just consider a silicon based polish—you might be surprised how the finish can turn out with some modern chemicals. But nothing abrasive, and be careful you don’t lift the edges. Those decals look like they’re in great shape.

The stencil logo was always my favorite, and I don’t think they used them after that intro year.

Upside to the fullies with the smaller pivot is you can rebuild it with pretty off-the-shelf stuff, if I recall correctly.

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Well that’s a few recommendations to just clean it up and don’t repaint.  I think that’s enough to convince me to do just that.  I’ll get it polished up and see what it looks like.  Photos to follow.

And you’re right moby the pivot is easy to find parts for and easy to rebuild.  Amazon even carried the bearings.  6903RS for reference in case anyone needs the bearing number.

1996 Homegrown FS Blue/Black
1996 Homegrown FS Polished
1995 Homegrown FS Red/Black

livernose
livernose's picture

I've brought to life scratched up dull paint with Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 (clear coat scratch remover), staying away from the decals altogether. Try a small area and you will be surprised how well it does. Use just a very small amount of Scratch X at a time, and rub it hard. Followed by wax.

Jeff
94 Underground aluminum cracked frame
2- 97 Underground composite
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro
01- Homegrown Factory Limited

livernose
livernose's picture

BTW, There may be some of those decals out there, but I’ve never seen them for sale anywhere. Definitely cool to preserve them on your frame. My favorite T shirt has that logo.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Well now I need to find a matching T-shirt!  :)  Polished it up with Meguiars cutting paste, followed by a few coats of Zaino car polish.  Looks pretty good.  After I get the new bearnings on Tuesday I’ll get it assembled and then I’ll post a few pictures.

CraigB
CraigB's picture

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Craig
1997 Moab 1 (cro-mo) • 1999 4-Banger All-Mountain • 2000 Hardtail

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Few photos of the cleaned up frame and test fitting the rear disc brake and wheel with STX hubs, my budget made this an easy choice ;-).  Went with Avid BB7’s with Avid speed dial 7 levers.  The rest of the components are Shimano XT 3x10.  

If all goes to plan I should be able to take it out this weekend.

Taking the fork in tomorrow to get the tube cut down a bit at 10” it’s way too long.  Just one fo those tools I just never got around to buying.

livernose
livernose's picture

Looks good. I like the skewers. Did you have to drill into the frame at all for the rear disc mount? Is the rear triangle paint or powder coat?

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Skewers were an Ebay purchase.  Yes I had to drill one hole but I reduced the requested size and used grade 5 hardware and a steel nut insert (for clearence) in place of the supplied screw.  Still far more metal on this side than what’s on the derailler side so I wasn’t too worried about it.

Rear tirangle is original paint as far as I can tell.  It’s rougher than the pictures make it out to be, but it looks good from about 5 feet away. 

livernose
livernose's picture

Having disc brakes is worth drilling the hole. What is the rear disc set up called? Makes me want to try this on one of my hard tails.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Got it from an auction site (not sure if we can post links), but it’s supplied by Chasertech.  There are several companies either reselling or making a version of this setup though.  They all looked about the same.  This one seems well made and the price was reasonable. Happy to offer my thoughts once I’ve got the bike going before you commit.

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

That rear disc brake bracket works great. Cheap and effective. 

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Almost there.  Just the chain, snip cables, and a major seat post trim.

CraigB
CraigB's picture

:-o Looking great!

Craig
1997 Moab 1 (cro-mo) • 1999 4-Banger All-Mountain • 2000 Hardtail

livernose
livernose's picture

Nice looking build. The red and black is a good color combination. Nice touch on the red cable housing in the back and black housing in front. What did you use to plug the drive side rear brake boss?

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Thanks. Just a black domed cap screw. Same thing I used on the fork. Anti-seize galore. 

ingum86

Looks great. I like the cable routing on the top tube. On my 99 the cables run down the underside of the downtube and under the pivot. Gets full of mud that flings off the front tire and requires alot of maintenance. Is that a 19 inch frame?

99 Homegrown Factory Suspension

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Yep a 19”.

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

Done!

livernose
livernose's picture

Nice. How’s the rear shock work? 

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

Yorktown
Yorktown's picture

The Risse shock seems to work great, better than my short time with the Fox 4 before it collapsed. The entire bike is a big change from my 95 KHS Team FXT. Much more responsive and a better ride. 

livernose
livernose's picture

Always wondered if theFS Homegrown bike bounces much when you are climbing and off the saddle. I've ridden my friend's Cannondale FS Super V that bounces a lot.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

moby
moby's picture

livernose wrote:
Always wondered if theFS Homegrown bike bounces much when you are climbing and off the saddle. I've ridden my friend's Cannondale FS Super V that bounces a lot.

Out of the saddle the bike acts more like a hardtail. Much better climbing efficiency than the Super V, but also shock setup has a lot to do with it. I also tend to run my shock a little stiff. But I think the best thing about uphill riding on a Homie is you can sit on the nose of the saddle on longer grinds, and the suspension acts completely differently.

ingum86

When off the saddle you are essentially standing on the URT, so only about ¼ of your weight is transferred to the rear suspension. I don’t think there is very much pogoing when climbing either, but I have mine setup really stiff...Seeing this build come together makes me want to do a disk brake conversion on my HGFS and bring it out of retirement. 

99 Homegrown Factory Suspension

moby
moby's picture

ingum86 wrote:
When off the saddle you are essentially standing on the URT, so only about ¼ of your weight is transferred to the rear suspension. I don’t think there is very much pogoing when climbing either, but I have mine setup really stiff...Seeing this build come together makes me want to do a disk brake conversion on my HGFS and bring it out of retirement. 

If you have a ‘99, you’ve got disc tabs already on your bike? You’ll need a 22mm adapter, but at that point you can use any standard brake/wheel combo.

http://www.gtgtandems.com/parts/pics/San1010.jpg

livernose
livernose's picture

I’ve got that part and tried it on my son’s 19” frame. The calipers I had wouldn’t fit. I assume I would need a small caliper to work. I’m sure somebody on this forum would know what to use.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

moby
moby's picture

livernose wrote:
I’ve got that part and tried it on my son’s 19” frame. The calipers I had wouldn’t fit. I assume I would need a small caliper to work. I’m sure somebody on this forum would know what to use.

Do you mean the rotor wouldn’t fit? Here it is running a 160mm rotor with a standard XTR IS hydraulic disc. The clearance on the rotor to the rear triangle is REALLY tight—you can’t go much bigger.

Disregard the missing bolt. Smile

moby
moby's picture

Here it is from the other side.

moby
moby's picture

Last angle. Trying to find one with the brake in frame.

livernose
livernose's picture

No it was the caliper. I had a Avid Juicy 3  caliper with a 160mm rotor and the caliper wouldn’t fit. The seat stay was in the way. I used a different adapter.

Jeff
97- Homegrown Factory
99- Homegrown Pro

moby
moby's picture

livernose wrote:
No it was the caliper. I had a Avid Juicy 3  caliper with a 160mm rotor and the caliper wouldn’t fit. The seat stay was in the way. I used a different adapter.

Interesting. I think I see what part might have been the problem. It’s a real tight fit with the Shimano—anything even a slightly different size or shape would have problems with fit.

What a reminder of the problems of fit before widely used standards. I feel like we were pioneers back then. 

Ok, maybe not pioneers exactly but you know what I mean. Wink

ChattyMatty
ChattyMatty's picture

Beauty 8-)

Collecting serial numbers of Schwinn '95-'01 ENF/Pro Mod BMX frames for posterity.