Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk New guy here trying to find frame information…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elchulachaser
    Participant

I wanted to first off say hello to everyone here.. Now getting to my case, I do love the Schwinn dual suspensions but I can’t seem to find one of my new bikes acquired. I own 2 thusfar.

00′ Schwinn 4 Banger lightly modded 17″. Repainted close to the Yeti turquoise due to PO scratching the hell out of it, originally black. Manitou Splice elite 130mm fork, Sram 7.0 Grip drive, Sun Black Eyes

01′ Schwinn Straight 6. 15″ stock Yellow thusfar, Marzocchi DropoffIV SC 155mm, SRAM/XT drive, Raceface X type cranks,  Still in progress!!

I wanted to first off say hello to everyone here.. Now getting to my case, I do love the Schwinn dual suspensions but I can’t seem to find one of my new bikes acquired. I own 2 thusfar.

00′ Schwinn 4 Banger lightly modded 17″. Repainted close to the Yeti turquoise due to PO scratching the hell out of it, originally black. Manitou Splice elite 130mm fork, Sram 7.0 Grip drive, Sun Black Eyes

01′ Schwinn Straight 6. 15″ stock Yellow thusfar, Marzocchi DropoffIV SC 155mm, SRAM/XT drive, Raceface X type cranks,  Still in progress!!

The information sought is for the 01′ non pull shock Straight 6, I have viewd online catalogs and they don’t mention the model. I would like to know more on the specs. I will be buying a 01′ non pull shock  Straight 8 soon also.

Thanks,

Chris

WisconsinJay
    Participant

My guess — is that you’ve got yourself something of a mutant..   Someone along the line went in, tweaked the shocks and then you obtained the bike. 

Sounds cool, would like to see the pictures – particularly of the 99′ banger..     I don’t know about a lot of folks, but I did enjoy the 2000/2001 Schwinn full-suspension rigs.  they were fun to bounce around on…

blue72beetle
    Participant

The 01 push shock Straight 6 is essentially the same as a 4 Banger, just with a longer travel shock.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Schwinn&Model=Straight+6&Type=bike

The Push Shock Straight 8 is an entirely different beast. Here is an example:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/501/smal.jpg

Elchulachaser
    Participant

Great site first off….

Here is the pic of my 00′ 4 Banger..

Thanks for the information. I know about that Bikepedia site but just wondered why the 01′ Catalog did not mention the Straight 6 or the Straight 8s utilizing the push type (conventional)  shock. Now that is the Straight 8 I am after.. It’s just like the Yeti DH-3 that a friend of mine still rides.. After vacation I’ll look for a nice small frame… I know the Pull shock versions are more plentiful to find though.

blue72beetle
    Participant

Somewhere I’ve seen the catalog pages for the 01 Straight 8. I don’t have a copy myself though. I think they’re not on this site, because they’re not technically considered Homegrowns, even though they’re related. Maybe John knows someone with a copy of the complete catalog? I’ve only got 96-99 catalogs.

Pull shock frames are more common, but the shocks aren’t.

Elchulachaser
    Participant

I know thusfar that my frame is indeed 01′ Straight 6 is 7005 Easton aluminum and I’m not too well versed in the Homegrown aspect. That makes me wonder though who produced this frame? I do know Yeti had their version of the 4 Banger in their roster..

blue72beetle
    Participant

I would venture to guess that since 01 Straight bikes aren’t Homegrowns, then they were probably made in Taiwan.

Here is a group for the Straight bikes that may have some members that could answer your questions. Plus, plenty of pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=150764598273439

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top