Forum Replies Created
- AuthorPosts
livernoseParticipantBTW, You made a terrific find when you rescued that bike from the trash heap.
livernoseParticipantI use nail polish to touch up bike frames. I actually have 1 rock chip on the frame pictured and haven’t matched the paint yet. These frames were powder coated so the finish is tough. Last frame I had I took to a place called Ulta, that my daughter goes to for make up and nail polish. Carried the frame right in and matched the color. You may have to try a few different shades to get the exact match because the dried color looks a little different than the color in the bottle. I’ve been busy lately so I don’t plan on doing any paint matching for a few months, but when I do, I will let you know the exact brand and color. I will use the cracked frame for a match.
livernoseParticipantBeautiful.
livernoseParticipantHere’s Project Underground #2. Very similar to Project Underground #1 except 2 X 10 modern XT components.
livernoseParticipantI found some nail paint to touch up a 97 BBB Homegrown Factory and also my 97 Project Underground. Pretty darn close except the metallic isn’t quite as big as the original, but the blue color is spot on. Two coats of nail polish followed by 3 coats of Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Glaze clear with wet n dry 1500 grit sanding between each clear.. Taped off for the clear spray at the welds on the FH so the line wouldn’t show and at the tube ends on the PU. Got the paint at Wally World. Pure Ice brand, “strapless” is the color. Funny thing is the nail polish is tougher than the original paint.
livernoseParticipantNice…
livernoseParticipantHello John,
I got the decal set from a shop called “Signs in a Day” if I remember correctly. They are in California and the set was $30 plus shipping. Included were: 2 “Project Underground” script for the top tube. Those were pretty close but didn’t have the vertical strikes through some of the letters like the original, 2 “Schwinn” script for the downtubes. the top tube “S” logo with a stripe, and the seat tube wrap decal. They’re good qulity and were easy to apply with a credit card and soap water spray (3 drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent in 8 ounces of water). I clear coated over them after they dried for 1 day. The only decals that were not included were the seat stay “Epicenter” and “Seat Stay” decals, but the ones on the bike were perfect (luckily) and the only original undamaged decals on the bike frame when I bought it. Good luck in your search as these frames are difficult to locate. It took me 6 years.
livernoseParticipantI changed out the crankset for another that came from a display bike that never had pedals installed. This is going on my wall in the family room right next to my fully restored 87 Paramount display bike. I’m almost finished with the other Underground that I’m going to ride.
August 26, 2013 at 3:20 am in reply to: Update on decals: ’98-’99 on ebay right now. See post 24 for link. #3600
livernoseParticipantYes I would very much like a Homegrown Factory set for my 97, just like the above picture.
livernoseParticipantFound these on an auction site. Item 151098580289
livernoseParticipantCool story.
livernoseParticipantGot one!
livernoseParticipantI looked on line last night and there sure is a lot of lively discussion about Homegrowns and whether they were Yeti made or not. Thanks for the information and pictures. You have a very nice bike.
livernoseParticipantYep, yours is pretty clean looking. The top tube S decal is a cutout S which is different than my Underground decal, and the seat tube wrap decal has the hole punched for the bottle cage screw.The decals on yours look to be in very good condition. Have they been replaced? or have you clear coated over them?
livernoseParticipantI remember seeing the Sinful Color mentioned and looked everywhere for the color, but couldn’t find it, even though Sinful Color is still made. Before I found the Pure Ice color I went through about 6 different colors that dried with a purple-ish tint.
- AuthorPosts